Saturday, March 17, 2018

Listeriosis Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

It's just a one man black metal project - it also has a strong sludge element to it. It's an outlet for me to bludgeon instruments and scream.

2.So far you have released one ep, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?

Very raw, aggressive, filthy, lo-fi black metal with a sludge influence.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with your music?

Mainly just human nature. Observations and reflections of the darker qualities of humans.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Listeriosis'?

Listeriosis is a bacterial infection. Recently there was an outbreak of Listeriosis in my home country, South Africa. I believe around 180 people died. The bacteria was found to be in food that was being sold to the public. I found that the whole situation allowed for some introspection on our society - we are completely dependent on an entire industry to provide us with food, a basic need for our survival. We line up in shops to buy this food, and have to eat whatever this industry feeds us, even if it contains life threatening bacteria. We're alarmingly dependent on infrastructure, systems and processes that can so easily go horribly, horribly wrong and kill us all.

5.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with any other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?

I enjoy working with some other musicians, but honestly I normally can't stand most of the musicians I meet. With so many musicians everything is so calculated musically, they don't like to explore or improvise in fear of making a "mistake", and they are more focused on things like branding and networking than actually making music. They want to pander to the public and make a living out of it, and in my opinion, as soon as you do that your art is compromised and becomes insincere, generic, safe and boring. I like making music with people who are honest and sincere in what they create, regardless of the musical genre. That being said, I do like to work alone - when you work alone there's no compromise.

6.I have noticed that other than the bandcamp page there is no social network or anything available online about the musical project, is this intentional?

I hate social media. I'm not trying to get a million followers or likes. This is fucking black metal. Not a teenage girl's instagram account.

7.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

Well, the project has only existed since Thursday, and today is Sunday, so it's four days old. No interest from any labels thus far, and I don't expect any. I'm not looking for a label, because I doubt this music would be profitable for them. If a label were to approach me and say that they could promote / distribute the music and get physical albums / merch printed that would be fantastic, but I don't expect it to happen.

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?

As above, it's a new project, but what little feedback I've received has been overwhelmingly positive. I've received feedback from places as diverse as China and Brazil, so globally that's not too bad.

9.Are you or have you been involved with any other bands or musical projects?

I've been in a lot of bands playing styles from blues to doom metal, and I have a solo folk / drone / psych project which is mainly acoustic. You can check it out here - https://duncanpark.bandcamp.com

10.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into musically during the future?

Full length should hopefully be done in a couple of months. It will continue the raw, visceral style of the EP, but there'll be some diversity in sound with black ambient passages and things like that.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

I listen to all kinds of stuff. Recently I've mainly been listening to the music my friends make, which ranges from folk to far out noise collages to krautrock. But in terms of metal I'm really big into a lot of doom stuff like Primitive Man and Telekinetic Yeti, and I've been immersing myself in Leviathan's discography for the past few weeks - Leviathan is probably my favourite black metal band.

12.What are some of your non musical interests?

I have a full time 9-5 job that takes up most of my time, but I love hiking and being in the mountains. I live right by a cemetery and I take my dogs walking there every day. It's probably my favourite place to be. So peaceful and beautiful by the graves.

I hate going out and partying and that sort of thing. I'm pretty antisocial. I prefer animals to humans.


13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thanks for the interview, and thanks for listening to the music.

Bandcamp

No comments:

Post a Comment