Monday, March 27, 2017

Lascar Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

Lascar is a project that started around 2013-2014, I have been listening to Black Metal for years but it wasn’t until I came across a musical genre that for that time was known as Cascadian Black Metal that I decided to get involved in create this kind of music. I was mostly interested in the wall of sound  that’s the guitars generated and the theme of nature, so I put that as a base, but I always try to includes different ideas to that mix.

2.How would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recordings?

 I think that for the albums my main focus is the feeling of everything. The sensation of being submerge in the sound, but I also try to put a melodic side into the mix, and some ideas that I consider peculiar for the genre, but always keeping the atmosphere as the most important.

3.The lyrical cover nature and mysticism themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in those topics?

It’s hard to explain an interest. I could say that for me, music as always been a thing associated with nature and individuality. My interest in music started probably in road trips, looking trough the windows at the trees, the clouds, the rain and listening songs. The mysticism, as you call it, is associated with the constant search of
answers I suppose. I really like science also, so when I work in the lyrics more than mysticism I think in “poetic science”.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Lascar'?

Lascar is the name of a volcano in Chile. I wanted a name of something natural but not descriptive of the sound of the band. I ‘ve found out that means a lot of other things in other countries, and I’m okay with
all those others meanings, because it doesn’t matter for me at the end.

5.Currently there is only one member in the band, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to remain solo?

I’ve work in other bands with different people, and hasn’t been the most gratifying experiences. So for now, I prefer to remain solo. Also, I hope that this project last for a long time, so with that in mind, It’s better this way.

6.Currently you are signed to 'A Sad Sadness Song', are you happy with the support that they have given you so far?

Yes, when I started to do this I didn’t expect the interest, so working with A Sad Sadness Song, a record who has some bands that I really like, have been a nice chapter in this process.

7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of post black metal?

Excellent actually, I think that people that listen to this kind of music can see that the project try to make thing a little bit different, but still inside the genre. I’m always surprise by the interest because why I do is very individual, I just try to do the thing that I like to do.

8.Are you or have you ever been involved with any other bands or musical projects?

I’ve been playing alone and in bands for about 15 years, so yeah. But none of those where popular or functioned for a long time, so Lascar is the only one that worth mentioning.

9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?

Keep working on this, and probably other musical projects. Also, being open to new thing that appear across the way, but  I don’t like to set gold, or dreams or anything.

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

This is hard for me because music is my main interest in life, so there is a lot in different styles and bands, but just to name a few that directly influenced Lascar, I should mention Wolves in the Throne Room, Addaura, Lifelover, Ulver, also Moonspell, My Dying Bride and The Gathering, and probably Sigur Ros, Explosions in the sky and Mono.

Lately I been listening a lot a singer called Aurora, also Gillian Welch and the new Xiu Xiu album, and in metal, the last record of Immolation who’s is my favorite Death Metal band after Death, the new Violet Cold album, and I’ve been listening Keeper of the Seven Keys of Helloween, an album that I know since forever but that I started to enjoy just recently.

11.What are some of your non musical interests?

After finding new music, finding good books probably.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thanks for the support to all the people interested in Lascar, and stay tuned  because we are already working to release the new album the second semester of the year.

Bandcamp
Facebook
Spotify

No comments:

Post a Comment